homemade beer battered onion rings!
1. Combine flour and beer in a large bowl, blending thoroughly.
2. Optional: Cover and allow batter to sit at room temperature at least 3 hours.
3. Afterwards gently stir in the sugar and salt.
4. Cut onions into one-fourth inch or larger slices.
5. Separate slices into rings.
6. Heat shortening to 375 degrees F. You can determine this temperature by dropping a sample ring into the hot grease -- it should begin to immediately sizzle and quickly rise to the top.
7. Dry onion rings thoroughly and roll in flour before dipping into batter.
8. Fry until delicate golden brown.
For crispier onion rings add more beer to the batter; for a thicker crust add more flour to the batter.